Njarðvíkurkirkja is a stone church built in 1884-86. The building material was carved rock brought on sledges from the nearby shore and hill. The roof was made of wood. One of the three clocks in the churchtower is a precious clock made in 1725. From 1917 to 1944 the church was rarely used as a parish church and local inhabitants attended to church in the nearby Keflavík, now famous for being home of the international airport. In 1944 the church was renovated. Its new tower was constructed according to the drawing of Guðjón Samúelsson, renowned Icelandic State Architect, whose most recognized work is a church called Hallgrímskirkja.